Spring has sprung and what better way to celebrate than by creating these gorgeous little apple treats with and for your children! With just a handful of ingredients you will be able to create a bunch of roses in no time.
- 2 red apples
- 1 sheet of puff pastry
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Jam to spread
- Plain flour to roll
- Oil to spray the trays
- Preheat oven to 190C. Start thawing out the puff pastry in the fridge.
- Add the lemon juice to the water.
- Cut the apples in half and core them leaving the skin on. Slice the apple into thin slices.
- Microwave the apples until they are bendy (approx. 3 minutes). Drain them and run cold water over them.
- Spray a regular sized muffin tin with oil.
- Flour a clean surface and roll out the puff pastry lengthways to ensure one side is longer than the other (around 30cm).
- Cut into 6 long pieces with a 5cm width and spread with jam.
- Line up the apple slices half up the piece of pastry and have them slightly overlap. Fold over the pastry so that the apple slices are covered on both sides by pastry.
- Start rolling it up from one side to form a rose. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the pastry in the centre is cooked.
Makes six tarts